Learn more about Historic South Park, Inc. and what we do.

News and Events

The latest goings on, upcoming events and socials.


Sign up or renew your HSPI membership.


Historic South Park apparel and PPD entry fees.


We love to talk about our neighborhood!


Minutes from our meetings.

Home improvements in a Landmark neighborhood

Spring is home improvement season. That means something special in a Historic District. To preserve the value of your Landmark property, check The Blue Book and apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) from the Landmarks Commission before you start any work on the exterior of any buildings, fencing or landscaping.
April 3, 2021
South Park News
In 1981, the City of Dayton declared South Park a Historic District, the largest in Ohio. In 1984, South Park was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The designation confers honor and distinction but has a practical purpose as well.
The decline that began in the 1960s left our buildings blighted. Slumlords let buildings deteriorate and tore out distinctive historic details that gave South Park its special character. As a Historic District, intentional neglect and “remuddling” are now illegal.
Owners must maintain the exterior of the house in its historic integrity, including trim and wrought iron fences, as well as Victorian features like stained glass windows, front doors, porches and chimney pots. If you are emotionally and financially invested in South Park and its century-old homes, this is a blessing. Keep in mind, not every South Park structure is governed by Landmarks — just make sure you know how Landmark rules apply to your house, or not.
From 1996-2012, the valuation of Dayton’s historic districts increased 71% compared to 22% in non-historic districts. And the desirability of historic neighborhoods continues to grow.
The City of Dayton Landmarks Commission (LMC)
Under the auspices of the City’s Department of Planning, LMC’s mission is to promote historic preservation. It is responsible for the oversight and control of all exterior modifications to structures in Historic Districts. Questions? Call 937-333-3670 or consult The Blue Book.

Before you start any work on the exterior of any buildings on your property, fencing or landscaping changes: Apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) from the Landmarks Commission.

  • Contact Holly Hornbeak at [email protected] or (937) 333-4271 for major work. (e.g. porches, windows, siding, garages)
  • Contact Abigail free at [email protected] or (937) 333-3635 for minor work. (e.g. paint, gutters, fences)

Related Posts

A Street Card for those in Homelessness

A Street Card for those in Homelessness

Updated: April 2021. SPONSORED BY: The Homeless Solutions Policy Board and Partner Organizations of Montgomery County Ohio. For more information, call United Way HelpLink 937-225-3000 or 211. Collect calls are accepted.