Full Circle Development
Approximately 900 Square Feet
Offering Price: $ 104,900
In 1885 Clement L. Baumann, an attorney and former mayor of Dayton, purchased this lot as an investment, and three years later built this brick cottage. Though a successful lawyer, Baumann was apparently a difficult man; his sons thrice attempted (unsuccessfully) to have him declared insane. Upon his legal separation from his wife, she received 624 Oak as part of the settlement. After her death in 1922, their son Otto Baumann, also an attorney, inherited the house. Tenants during this period included a stenographer, an inspector at NCR, an electrician, a machinist and a laborer at DP&L. While most were German immigrants or their descendents, the 1930 census listed Archibald Grant, an immigrant from Scotland as the resident of 624 Oak.
This house left the Baumann family after Otto’s death in 1935 but continued as a rental property. Its first resident owner was Emerson School janitor Etta Holmes, who purchased it in 1945. She died in 1953, and the house was sold to Dorothy Bussinger of Oakwood. The next owner, the widowed Lillian Merrill, lived at 624 Oak for several years until her remarriage. Andy Nickell occupied the house from 1974 to 1988 when his declining health required that the house be sold. It was then purchased by the Tharp family, who owned a number of Oak Street properties, and they sold it to Full Circle Development in 2007.
This quaint brick cottage sitting high up on a corner lot owned by a former Dayton Mayor has a spacious great room with tall windows and high ceilings. The large bedroom has plenty of room for a sitting area near one of the front windows. The kitchen has plenty of beautiful cherry cabinets that are highlighted by the natural sunshine brought in by the large windows and back door.
- Spacious great room
- Fantastic kitchen with cherry cabinets and eat-in island
- New PEX plumbing
- Upgraded electrical wiring,
- New furnace & central air